Government Exam Preparation – Complete Guide to preparing for government exams
Government Exam Preparation
Government exams are some of the most sought-after exams in India as people want government jobs. It is a popular perception that government jobs are permanent. Besides, being a government employee entails one with several benefits that helps one lead a good life.
However, the irony of our times is that government jobs are limited in number and lakhs of people apply for government jobs. In 2017, about 30 lakh people applied for SSC CGL jobs. Similarly, in 2018 Railways has released notification for 1,10,000 jobs for which more than 2 crore applicants have applied. Thus, there is intense competition for every government job.
Firstly, let us have an overview of the various types of government jobs that are there in India. You have a set of government jobs to look at initially.
- Railways Government Jobs: Railways Government jobs comprise Posts like ALP, Technician, Railway Group D,
- SSC Jobs: SSC is the Staff Selection Commission. SSC CGL is abbreviated as Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate level. The exam is meant to recruit test takers in Grade B and Grade C cadre posts of the government of India. Then comes SSC CPO or Police jobs, SSC CHSL or jobs as Postal assistant and Sorting assistant, SSC Stenographer, SSC MTS or posts for peon, Gardener, etc.
- IBPS Jobs: The IBPS is a prestigious exam and several candidates give the exam to become clerks or probationary officers. It tests candidates for Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude, English language and General Awareness. There are various types of IBPS exams like IBPS PO, IBPS Clerk, IBPS RRB officer, IBPS RRB assistant, and IBPS SO.
- Government job through GATE: Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an entrance examination to test the understanding of the candidates in various undergraduate subjects in Engineering/Technology/Architecture and post-graduate level subjects in Science. Several PSUs have been using the GATE score in their recruitment process.
- Government Jobs through CLAT: Several PSU’s are hiring Legal officers and legal services professionals based on CLAT PG 2018 scores. The jobs are only applicable to those who have completed 3-year LLB course or 5-year integrated law course as the regular full-time course from a recognized university.
Preparation Tips: Government Exam Preparation
- Solve mock Tests: Solve mock Tests as this is the only way you are going to improve your scores.
- Quality over Quantity: Try to cover all topics, but do not miss out the quality study to learn new stuff and difficult things.
- Keep notes: Keep notes of important topics from exam perspective.
- Cut off varies Every year: The Cut-off for every year is different, and it based on the number of applicants. Though you can learn from previous years cutoff do not completely rely on it.
- Maximize Efforts: Work hard towards your goal
- Sleep well before the exam.
- Reach the Exam on Time so that you have enough time to run personal errands before the exams.
- There is not much time to solve the paper, so choose the section of the paper that you are most comfortable with. If you are comfortable with Quantitative aptitude, then attempt it first. However, if you are comfortable with English than solve English first and then move on to other sections.
- Total Score, in the end, will play a big role in you getting selected to the next level. You need to have both good sectional cut off and overall cutoff if you want to crack the exam.
- Do not get stuck in any particular section as there is limited time to solve the questions. If you are unable to solve the section, then move on to the next section.
- Follow the mantra of Be Positive. The exam is difficult, so the practice of mock tests can help you crack the exam.
- Drink Water and eat well before the exams. Avoid Junk food.
- Understand the exam pattern and Syllabus– Before you begin preparation, look at the exam pattern and syllabus to know what you are expected of in the exam.
- Proper planning – Plan your studies and Proper planning will lead to success. Plan your studies in advance and do not wait for last minute preparation.
- Aim for Accuracy: You need accuracy in Quantitative Aptitude and Reasoning. You also need to be accurate with English and GK. Remember that while you need accuracy with numbers in Quant, you need accuracy with words in English Test.
- Prepare study notes: Use proper reference material and books to prepare notes. Use recommended books.
- Practice with Mock Test-Series – Mock Tests reflect a true picture of your performance as they act like a mirror and help you analyze your strengths and weaknesses. Stay Positive: Stay positive and upbeat. A few minutes of prayer every day can help you stay positive.
- Detailing: Pay attention to details.
- Get your Basics Right: Get your basics right and then only you can go further with more tough concepts.
- Prepare Notes and Revise: There are no shortcuts, so prepare thoroughly.
- Stay Updated with Current Affairs – You should read the newspapers, magazines regularly and also stay updated with current affairs, Other topics you can focus on include Railways, Sports, Indian Economy, Political news, Awards, static GK, etc .
- Take coaching if Required: Coaching can help you to improve your performance. A good teacher can both teach you and inspire you.
- Computer Based Test: The exam is conducted online and candidates need to get acquainted with the online system of answering questions. It is unlike the traditional pencil-paper method. If you regularly use computers, it will be an easy task.
Quick Government Exam Preparation Tips:
- Manage your time
- Solve Numerical and word problems well
- Stay updated with current affairs
- Don’t waste time on a single question
- Evaluate your performance regularly
- Improve Language and Prepare for English comprehension
- Accuracy is essential in solving mathematical problems
- Practice Yoga and Do exercise
- Eat well and Sleep well
- Ensure Good Physical health
- There is negative marking in the exam, so be careful with your answers.
Books to Prepare for Government Exams: Government Exam Preparation
|Name of the section||Books for Preparation|