Union Minister Gehlot launches MIS portal under Accessible India Campaign.
• Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Thaawarchand Gehlot launched the Management Information System (MIS) portal for stakeholders of the Accessible India Campaign (AIC).
The Fully accessible for divyangjans.
The MIS has been developed by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD) under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment
The MIS portal will bring all the nodal ministries, and states and Union Territories on a single platform for monitoring the progress being made against each target of AIC
He stated that the portal will be useful in maintaining all the function on the digital platform and capture data on a real-time basis.
The monitoring of the places being made accessible will become more effective as there is a provision of uploading images of such features.
The portal is made fully accessible for the divyangjans
The Secretaries of various nodal ministries including Housing and Urban Affairs, Road Transport and Highways, Civil Aviation, Railways and Information and Broadcasting were present on the occasion.
Management Information System (MIS) portal
A management information system is an information system used for decision-making, and for the coordination, control, analysis, and visualization of information in an organization.
Telangana to celebrate 2020 as Year of Artificial Intelligence.
• The Telangana government decided to celebrate the year of 2020 as the Year of Artificial Intelligence. The backdrop of the emerging talent pool and renewed focus by industry and other ecosystem players on this space in the last four to five years. The Nasscom announced the setting up of a Centre of Excellence in AI and Data Sciences in Hyderabad. In addition, IIT-Kharagpur (IIT-KGP) selected Hyderabad as the place to set up their regional centre to train students in AI in partnership with the State government.
The AI and allied technologies like Cyber Security, Drones, Big Data and Blockchain. This can be gauged from the fact that we have policies dedicated to each of these sectors. The programmes into action and have decided to celebrate the year 2020 as the Year of AI. Under this initiative, we will be running hackathons, master classes and other activities throughout the year. The government agencies will give challenges and available data threats to run algorithms for the AI enthusiasts.
Telangana was the first State to sign up with NITI Aayog when they prepared the AI for All document and they will be running multiple pilot programmes in the State.
The principal secretary mentioned that a very focused, strategic and systematic effort has gone into developing the infrastructure in the last four to five years. The proposed 38 km-long Bus Rapid Transit System from KPHB to Financial District and said that they will help in last-mile connectivity. The company officials that institutions like TASK and T-Hub are helping and nurturing talent and workforce in the niche technology space.
Rajnath Singh becomes first Defence Minister to fly in Tejas fighter aircraft.
• Union minister Rajnath Singh became the first defence minister to fly in the indigenously-built light combat aircraft Tejas from the HAL airport in Bengaluru. He was accompanied by Air Vice Marshal N Tiwari, who is also the Project Director, National Flight Test Centre, ADA (Aeronautical Development Agency) in Bengaluru. The minister flew a sortie in the twin-seater version of Tejas. Rajnath Singh was wearing a G-suite, a white helmet and an oxygen mask.
The Indian Aircraft Flying on Tejas an Indigenous Light Combat Aircraft from Bengaluru HAL Airport was an amazing and exhilarating experience.
Tejas successfully carried out an arrested landing a key performance, demonstrating its ability to land on board an aircraft carrier, making it a major milestone in the development of the naval variant of the fighter jet.
The IAF placed an order with the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) for 40 Tejas aircraft.
The IAF issued the request for proposal (RFP) to HAL for the procurement of another batch of 83 Tejas at a cost of over Rs. 50,000 crores.
Tejas is a multi-role fighter with several critical capabilities.
It is meant to strengthen India’s air defence capabilities. The IAF already inducted a batch of Tejas aircraft. The Tejas is designed to carry a veritable plethora of air-to-air, air-to- surface, precision guided and standoff weaponry.
APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS:
Four new Supreme Court judges appointed.
• Four new judges were appointed to the Supreme Court. The judge's strength in the top court is 34.
The new judges are Haryana High Court Chief Justice Krishna Murari, Himachal Pradesh High Court Chief Justice V. Ramasubramanian, Rajasthan High Court Chief Justice S Ravindra Bhat and Kerala High Court Chief Justice Hrishikesh Roy.
The Supreme Court Collegium recommended names of chief justices and high court judges for the appointment to the top court in order to fill the vacant posts.
The Collegium led by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi had considered the names the four chief justices as apex court's judges.
World Bamboo Day was observed on 18 September.
• World Bamboo Day was observed on 18 September every year. It was observed by the World Bamboo Organisation (WBO). The Day aims to raise awareness to conserve and promote the bamboo industry. The days also aims to bring the potential of bamboo to protect the natural resources and the environment and to ensure sustainable utilization of bamboo. It promotes new cultivation of bamboo for new industries in regions around the world for community economic development.
Centre's action towards bamboo:
Bamboo is known as a poor man’s timber and green gold. Bamboo grows fast, low on maintenance and has versatile potential. After China, India is the world’s second-largest cultivator of bamboo. The State of Environment report 2018 said that there are 136 species and 23 genera of bamboo spread over 13.96 million hectares in India.
In 2017, the Indian Parliament declassified bamboo as a tree on non-forest lands. The Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare launched the National Bamboo Mission with an aim to provide a boost to livelihood and environmental acreage. Also, the Ministry of Micro, Small, and Medium Enterprises (MSME) launched a scheme named SFURTI (Scheme of Fund for Regeneration of Traditional Industries) with an aim to boost traditional industries and bamboo artisans.
World Bamboo Organisation (WBO):
WBO was initially founded as the International Bamboo Association (IBA) in the year 1991 at the International Bamboo Workshop in Chiangmai, Thailand. In 1998, IBA was re-established as the World Bamboo Organisation (WBO). WBO is a non-profit organization that aims to improve and promote the use of bamboo and the products of bamboo for the sake of the environment and economy.